BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Sunday, March 16, 2008

Go Green




My wife's Irish roots run deep, so the St. Patrick's Day holiday is greatly anticipated and celebrated in our home. Our kids showed their Irish pride @ last weeks' Irish festival @ Reedy River Falls. Not many know the true story of St. Patrick. Thousands were converted to Christianity because of his bold witness in Ireland.
Myths and legends have grown up around this hero of Ireland.
As Monsignor Murray explains, it is sometimes difficult to describe the triune aspect of God. So, according to the story, to better illustrate the central teaching of the trinity, Patrick took a shamrock and pointed out the three leaves on it. Interestingly, it is only in Ireland that you find this shamrock. Therefore, the people believed.
Listen to Patrick's poem of faith and trust in God, "The Breastplate":
"Christ be within me, Christ behind me, Christ before me, Christ beside me, Christ to win me, Christ to comfort and restore me, Christ beneath me, Christ above me, Christ inquired, Christ in danger, Christ in hearts of all that love me, Christ in mouth of friend and stranger."
May we be bold witnesses in our homeland like St. Patrick was in his homeland of Ireland.

0 comments: