BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Right Priorities

I am reading a book right now called Secrets of the Secret Place by Bob Sorge. Something I read this morning jumped off the page and drove me to my Bible.
Here is the quote I read, "Works of service gain their spiritual energy from the furnace of a fiery love relationship at Jesus' feet. The true fulfillment of serving Jesus is discovered when we get first things first: First we sit and listen, and then we go and do."
The Holy Spirit immediately reminded me of the story of Mary and Martha in Luke 10: 38 - 42.
Martha welcomed Jesus and the disciples into her house. Mary sat at Jesus' feet, listening to what he taught. Martha was worrying over the big dinner she was preparing and complained to Jesus that Mary was just sitting there and not helping do the work.
Jesus' response to Martha was a loving rebuke. "My dear Martha, you are worried and upset about many things, but only one thing is needed. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her."
I don't know about you, but I sure can identify with Martha. I am a task driven person. Activity over relationship comes easy for me.
Dear Jesus, please forgive me for not consistently choosing what is better, sitting at Your feet.

0 comments: